2008-10-16

financial crisis - voices

A good friend of sent me this google video link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4343898391323537541) with a forewarning that it is an hour long. After listening for a couple of minutes, I got hooked.

Mr. Venkatesh seems to have hit the nail on the head. I could understand him well because of his simple examples using even simpler language strewn with interesting commonly used phrases and noticeable absence of financial jargon.

I have always believed that America always does what is in the best interests of its people. I think this is what every nation's/household's/individual's policy should be. Though this policy is very good, the policy needs to change and consider the other countries/households/individuals in the rest of the world/community/family because we are all living on one planet. Though it is obvious that each nation's/household's/individual's actions have impact on the remaining nations/households/individuals and also on the planet, most of us do not seem to want to acknowledge it. I can't seem to understand why. Mr. Venkatesh has subtly and succinctly put forth the stature and great contribution of the Indian housewife and the Indian familial tradition.

It felt good to see that I was not the only one with such thoughts- only after the standard of living of all citizens improves will a nation improve and Mr. Venkatesh's example of the different problems faced by people at different strata at Chennai is genuine. Improve the standard of living and the economic status of the citizen will have improved and thus will increase domestic consumption and efficient production of goods.

My gut feel is that the current financial crisis (though I do not understand it completely) will take a few years to be resolved but after listening to Mr. Venkatesh, I feel I am being optimistic though I would love to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment