To action alone hast thou a right,
And never at all to its fruits.
Let not the fruits of action be thy motive;
And neither let there be in thee,
Any attachment to Inaction.
The above was written by my dear Mathematics tutor, Shri Basant Kumar Deo and he showed it to me probably around 1987. When I left Bhubaneswar in mid-1989 and probably knew that I might not be able to see him again, I asked him to give it to me. Through my travels, I have treasured that piece of paper and it was, is and will be very dear to me. I owe him a lot since because of him, I can at least consider that I am on the path to becoming a human being. In other words, he is my second Guru, the first being my dear Mother.
I have recited the above tens of thousands of times in my mind and every time I thought I understood it, a new realization would stare at my face. So, over the period of time, I graduated from intellectual understanding to knowing to realization. However, I soon found out that if the heart does not know it then it is dry knowledge. Then started my journey of always trying to teach the heart what the mind already realized. The journey has been and I know it will always remain a wonderful one. Right now, my heart does not lead my mind and I hope that will change in the future. I have felt a calmness spreading within as I become less ignorant.
2010-09-25
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment