2012-01-30

V-onderful Vipassana

Though many of my acquaintances had been telling me about Vipassana, I never spent more than a couple of minutes thinking about it. For some reason, in 2011, I wanted to go for a Vipassana course. I tried to go in April but that did not happen as I let other things take precedence. Finally, in Nov. 2011, I attended the 10-day course at the Hyderabad Centre. I learnt some things about myself.

The idea is to get rid of that which has been accumulated in us by simply observing and not doing anything about the observed or the observer. The simplest way as taught in Vipassana is to observe one's breath. The only way to realize what it is and what its benefits are is to actually do it. Though I practice Yoga and other exercises, I now observe my breath too.

While in school, I used to do a lot of exercises trying to make the body extremely strong. So, as part of these exercises, I used to sit for hours practicing, 'Mind observing Mind', 'circulating breath to remove fatigue and pain, induce relaxation', etc. However, I never thought of using this observation to get rid of all the Samskaras (or Sankharas as known in the Pali language). Now, while 'Observing my breath', I can see myself becoming purer both in heart and mind as I keep practicing 'Observation of Breath'. I know I am very far from becoming completely pure but now I know that I am progressing albeit slowly. Pure Heart and Pure Mind lead to a healthier body.

Our Samskaras make what we are and so if we can either decide what Samskaras we want or better still, completely get rid of all the Samskaras and behold the pure Self.

No comments:

Post a Comment